Solar Immersion Diverter: heat your water cylinder with excess electricity
If you have invested in Solar PV for your home or are considering investing in Solar PV for your home, then you will probably be aware that there are times when your PV panels will generate more electricity the you require in your home. This energy normally flows back to the grid via the meter and as it is in Ireland there is no payment for the electricity you feed into the grid.
If your home has a hot water cylinder with an immersion heater built in then a Solar Immersion diverter can be installed and start saving you more money on heating bills.
A Solar Immersion Diverter system detects when excess energy is being exported to the grid and measures it. The main unit receives this information from the Sender and releases the equivalent level of energy (less a small reserve) to the immersion heater. As the exported levels adjust in line with home consumption the Immersion Diverter adjusts the levels delivered for water heating ensuring that only excess energy is used.
How they work
- Using a single clamp installed at the household meter the sender transmits vital export energy information to the Solar Immersion Diverter.
- The Solar Immersion Diverter is activated when excess energy is available. It intelligently controls and adjusts the flow of energy to the immersion in proportion with the fluctuating export levels.
- Water is heated over the course of the day using the free solar energy at your home, it will continue to heat the water until your thermostat in your immersion reaches max temperature.
- Once your immersion thermostat reaches max temperature automatically the excess will then be sent to the grid.
Solar Immersion Diverters are an ideal option for any homeowner, who does not want battery storage or who wants to heat their hot water cylinder with there excess electricity. Immersion diverters are a highly effective way of heating your cylinder especially on days with good sunshine or on days with a lower electricity demand.
- Easy install
- With no feed in tariff, it ensures that your excess electricity does not go to waste.
- Typically, plenty of hot water on days with clear skies
- Can be used with battery storage, will kick in once your battery is fully charged.
- Reliant on the quality of your immersion
- If there is an issue with your immersion it will not work correctly
- Generally, if you install a good quality Immersion diverter like an EDDI or an Iboost it is rare there are issues with the diverter themselves it is typically the immersion that fails if it is old and not been used to often.
- If you do not have enough panels it may only take chill out of your tank.
- Typically a 3 year warranty